- RT @WEXP_RADIO: The 15th Person to Retweet this wins a FREE pair of #EvilDead tickets to use at your leisure. 1 month ago
- Bring on adu I guess. Need a spark or something 8 months ago
- Quote of the night so far "Duka your family is here and they are mine" #doop #crew 8 months ago
- Enjoying this #elclassico just making tonights game better! 8 months ago
- Excited for tonight. The union walking away with 3pts 8 months ago
Houston Moves East: Dynamo Change Conferences In MLS Realignment
January 30, 2011Posted by on
Two teams are set to be added to MLS this season.As the conferences are already balanced, it would make mathematical sense to put one team in each conference. That is of course until you note that both expansion teams are on or very close to the West Coast. It makes no sense for either the Portland Timbers or Vancouver Whitecaps to move into the Eastern Conference, for scheduling , travel and just plain logical purposes. Therefore in order to solve this problem one of the Western Conference teams would have to move to the Eastern Conference. MLS announced that this team would be the Houston Dynamo. As the current MLS schedule has every team play every other team twice, there is no change in schedule. Presumably Montreal, and the 20th MLS team (if the New York Cosmos as so often mentioned) could have a similar problem in a few years, but for now the conferences are split evenly with 9 teams in each conference. The Union are basically unaffected by this, except that they will now have to fight Houston for a playoff spot,rather than Portland or Vancouver. The new conference lineups, are listed below
Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, D.C. United, Sporting Kansas City, New England Revolution, New York Red Bulls, Philadelphia Union and Toronto FC.
Chivas USA, Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, L.A. Galaxy, Portland Timbers, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps.
Comments are closed.