- Anyone else still mad about last nights game 2 months ago
- @PhillyPhanSam Happy Birthday 2 months ago
- Zac looked horrible so did the defense and 3 months ago
- almost jack almost jack just keep shootin 3 months ago
- Happy Doop Day! Almost 12 hours till game time 3 months ago
What is Your Breaking Point? Where do you Draw the Line?
August 22, 2012Posted by on
I am writing this post out of curiosity, to find your breaking point. To find out what would cause you to leave your team, and to stop supporting your national team. I am writing this from a perspective of a man who love the Philadelphia Union. I am going to throw scenarios at you and make you think would you ever abandon your club. For the most part my scenarios can be twisted and contorted to fit any club. I am well aware that this situations will never happen (Hopefully).
Would you still Support the Union if
1. Reffing never improved in MLS: We all live in an era where reffing in MLS is constantly effecting games and outcomes. A lot of fans believe that in a few years MLS will direct focus and fix this plague. But what if the reffing never improved? Year after year, big games and big decisions get affected by poor reffing. I have seen people tear up season tickets because of this. Constantly feeling that your team does not have a fair shot at winning because of the officiating may cause a few fans to lose it.
2. Every off season the team imploded: Would you be able to support your team if every off season the management sold top players, fan favorites and young players with brought in inadequate replacements? It happened to the Union this off-season and it was tough on many fans. The Union lost fans when the team waived bye bye to all notable players. But what if this happened every year? Would you be able to stomach it. Having every player you love be replaced every year.
3. Philly got a new team: What if Philadelphia was gifted another soccer team? What if that stadium that was suppose to be built in Bristol actually got built? Philadelphia would have two soccer specific stadiums. and two MLS teams. Say this Philly team two was able to bring in a big star like Kaka, or Gio Dos Santos, along with some USMNT players like Carlos Bocangra, Joe Corona and Hercules Gomez. A wealthy of talent, experience and youth. Say the Philadelphia second soccer team also signed players like Le Toux, Danny Califf and Roger Torres.
4. Made tickets unfordable: What if Union tickets cost as much as Eagles tickets? Would you still support them? Would you still get season tickets, an travel?
5. Ownership questions your morals: Say the ownership began to question your morals and put you in morally conflicting spots. Would you be able to support a team that had an owner that openly hated gays, Jews, Muslims, and or minorities. What if the owners supported Fascism, Communism or were Nazis? What if they were publicly backing the Lords Resistance Army in Uganda? Would you support a team that had an owner that was in a Sandusky like situation but got off without conviction? If the team you loved put you in morally conflicting situation would you stop supporting?
6. You were banned Unjustly from the stadium for life: What if you were in Teddy Montoya’s shoes? You get banned from the stadium where you team plays and you did nothing wrong? You have 0 chance of ever seeing your team play at home ever again. Could you still support that team?
7. The supports section becomes overrun with fake fans: Say the River End gets filled with fans who don’t understand soccer just want to drink and yell. Gradually the fun of the game deflates. The people in the supports section cause more troubles and the chants begin to die and it is all crude cursing.
8. Financial problems strike the Club: What if your team got into some hot water financially? Problems so bad it caused them to be demoted. Say if the Union had to join the USL Pro or NASL. Would you still go out week in and week out?
9. Your team losses 99 games straight: Take a moment and sink in this one. Say your team loses 99 straight games , would you still be able to watch? Would you lose all interest? 99 games is over a season FYI. So we are talking about years without victory. Would you still be able to go to the stadium every week?
Everyone has a breaking point what is yours? Would any of these or any combo of these make you stop supporting your team? Did I miss something? Take a moment let it digest. Personally it would have to be a mixture of 2,3,4 and 5 to make me stop loving the Union.